Presenting: The Upcycled Snow White Dress!
Anyway, when the big 3 birthday was rolling around, I thought a princess dress to add to the dress-up collection was in order. I had a yard of this yellow fabric that I had ordered online thinking it was a cotton jersey, but it turned out to be something else--still not sure what, but definitely synthetic. It is a knit, though. But I had planned to use it to make pj's, and it definitely wasn't going to work for that. Since Snow White is one of her faves (despite never having seen the movie--that singing voice might change her mind! Yeeesh!), and her dress has a yellow skirt, I knew which princess I'd be going for. It helps that she doesn't wear pink or sparkles.
The pickings were slim in my t-shirt upcycling pile in blues, though. I ended up finding a blue toddler t-shirt and a light blue infant sleep sack, and making do. I had plenty of little scraps of red.
|That's all she wrote for dark blue.|
I thought I'd take advantage of the elasticized bottom on this newborn sleep sack since I planned on using elastic at both the top and bottom of my sleeves.
I cut off the bottom of the sleep sack and used the front and back for the two sleeves. The elastic at the bottom became the elastic armhole at the bottom of my sleeve.
I based my sleeve measurements on this peasant dress pattern from Ellie Inspired, and used her curve cutout for my sleeves and bodice.
As you can kind of see from the picture, I used the hemline from the dark blue shirt as the top of my bodice. I cut the curve out of all of my fabrics at once--the bodice front and back, folded in half, and the two sleeves, each folded in half. This means I cut through 8 layers of fabric at once. Risky, I know! One thing I would have done differently is to place the sleeve pieces so they were sticking up about 1/2 inch above the bodice pieces, since the edge of the bodice was already finished and I would have to hem the sleeve pieces under.
|Right side out bodice, face up, with sleeves laid face down, curved edges matching up. Sewn on the front of the bodice.|
|Sleeves attached on the front|
It would be much simpler to just have a bodice in two separate pieces, but I was worried that mine might be too small, since I'm pretty sure it was only a 12-month size shirt that I was working with. I didn't want to risk making it any smaller by adding side seams.
ANYWAY, to "peasantize" the sleeves, I just cut a piece of elastic (about 4 inches, but I just kind of eyeballed it), rolled the top of the sleeve over to hide the raw edge, pinned the elastic to the top of the sleeve, and stretched it as I sewed. I just sewed the raw edge of the sleeve down at the same time, although it would probably be easier to do that first.
|Ready to stretch that elastic|
And then the bodice was done!
I won't go into a lot of detail on the skirt, because I had some grand plans that didn't work out so well...
|That is NOT how the seam is supposed to look, I'm pretty sure|
Oh, and I had to make the Snow White headband to go with it! I looked at this pattern and eyeballed my own to get the size I wanted. I think this bow is SO CUTE! I even got her to wear it for Easter with her Cece dress, since it was red.
|If Snow White had a light saber, it would be purple.|
|Light Saber Duel|