- I am a stay-at-home mom of two kids.
- My family is currently living in Tokyo, Japan for my husband's job. The kids go to international school while I buy Japanese fabric and sew my heart out (while trying to navigate a completely foreign culture...there is that too).
- Usually, I live in Portland, Oregon--we will head back there when our expat assignment is finished. I grew up in the burbs around here, went to college and grad school in Washington, where I met my husband, and we moved back here to settle down and start a family near our parents.
- I have been sewing since I was a kid, taught by my grandma, but it wasn't until I worked in the costume shop in my college theater program that I really got interested in making things to wear.
- I taught middle and high school English and drama for 7 years before becoming a stay-at-home mom.
- I love showing off the things I make! When posting photos of my projects on Facebook started getting tiresome, I created the blog so that I could go into more detail without risking being defriended by my FB peeps with no interest in this stuff (they wouldn't really do that, would they?)
- I love shopping. I love a bargain. I have no income. These things come together particularly well to inspire me to make my own versions of things I have seen, seek out rock-bottom prices on fabrics and supplies, and upcycle things that have outgrown their usefulness and give them a new life. Free is a very good price!
- I make and sell felt headbands for babies and kids (and even adults) under the name SewBaby Crafts. I'm in a few local consignment stores and do custom orders.
- I love exploring the blogging universe--especially other moms and crafters, doing similar things to what I've been doing. It's amazing to me how much awesome content is out there for free! You bloggers are amazing. Reading posts and working on projects from other bloggers' tutorials helps me feel connected to the outside world--something I've struggled with as a stay-at-home mom.
|That's me. I made that scarf. Out of an old sweater--who has time for knitting anymore?|
So the rundown? Creative, cheap, lonely lady in need of attention and accolades starts begging the internet masses to love her! I'll let you know how that goes.
Feel free to contact me at sewbabycrafts @ gmail dot com!