Luckily, this dress buttons up the front, so I had an idea. After squeezing her into it for the morning, I took it with me when she went down for her nap to see if I could fix it up. I just couldn't bear only getting one wear out of it!
|Here's the tube, once I'd turned and ironed it.|
Soooo, back to my dress modification, I then took the buttons off of the dress and pinned the flattened tube to the edge of the button placket so that about 1/2 inch stuck out. I stitched it down along the edge of the original placket, and on the back side I stitched along the edge of the added strip.
|From the back side--the second seam is the one that lines up with the front edge of the original dress.|
|Extra strip, all added in.|
|The added strip is a bit shorter than the original dress, top and bottom.|
It doesn't stick out that way.
Another benefit of this alteration is that it will be easy to reverse it if I want to pass this dress on or resell it at a consignment shop.
|A dress that fits!|