I loved the bicycle print, and I had been wanting to try a dressier top from a silky fabric. The Natalie Top pattern from Liola Patterns looked like a perfect addition to my wardrobe, and I can't wait to sew it up again!
The fabric does have a nice drape and a cool finish, but it's honestly not my favorite. It doesn't breathe very well (it is polyester, after all) and it's sometimes a little too clingy--like it feels like it's sticking to me. But it doesn't wrinkle easily, which is nice, and it was easier to sew than I had feared it might be.
I had a little bit of trouble getting the pleat in front to lay down exactly right, but I love having the open neckline with the pleat rather than a button placket--I get so nervous doing buttons, which was one of the reasons this was the blouse pattern I chose.
I can handle two little buttons that don't need to line up, however--I think the sleeve tabs are such a nice detail on this top! And a fun way to incorporate a little more of a contrast fabric. I used a scrap of painted silk that I had been holding on to from my husband's grandmother's stash, and I love how it plays off of the navy of the top.
|I added some length in the form of a curved hem on this pattern. I didn't think about it until I was ready to hem it, but that meant that for the hem to lay flat, I needed to do a bias hem facing rather than just the typical folded under hem.|
Luckily I had just enough of the scrap of silk to piece together a strip to go around the hemline. It was touch-and-go, but I squeezed it out!
I'm planning to make another one of these tops out of some lovely silk that I picked up last week when I visited the Pendleton Woolen Mill store. I can't believe I used to drive by that place every day on my way home from work and never went in there! I also got some amazing wool to make a few pillow covers for our living room--they are going to be so luxurious!