Except fabric choice--we were in total agreement on this awesome be-ribboned octopus print from Cosmo Textile Company Japan.
|I found the turquoise bow print as an accent--risky, since it wasn't pink or purple, but she went for it!|
First of all, I wrongly assumed she would want me to turn the pattern into a dress. Nope, just a shirt please! Secondly, I thought she would want me to leave the sleeves off so it was a tank top. Wrong again--she requested sleeves, please! I did change them a little--I attached them backwards (gathering the curved edge instead of the straight edge), making them more of a flutter sleeve instead of a cap. I mostly did it because I'm lazy--the print went right up to the selvedge on the fabric, so I could avoid hemming the sleeve by using the straight selvedge for the edge!
|I love the mustard flat piping made from bias tape! I used the same bias tape to finish the armholes.|
We were in agreement on the closure though. I had been saving this lace-edge zipper for a while, and she kept asking me to put it into different garments. And finally I had one that worked! She could easily wear this top with the zipper in the back too, but when it's in the front she can easily put the top on (and take it off) by herself, so that's a huge bonus for both of us.
|Back or front? You decide!|
After reading some commenter's suggestions, I covered the itchy raw edges behind the zipper with strips of the soft knit fabric I used for her shorts! The top is saved!
**Ok, back to the rest of the post.**
I made the skirt with the yoke fabric and mustard bias tape like the top, but added some lavender chambray for the pocket panels. I was worried that it would be tooooo matchy, and that without the waistband in the top the gathered skirt would be too bulky with the top. But actually, I think it works just fine together!
But it also is a great piece to mix with other tops, and she loves the big pockets.
|A closer look at the skirt|
Just in case the top and skirt didn't work together though, I made a quick pair of knit shorts from some soft pink stripe I got for 100 yen a meter (about 82 cents!). I shortened the Lazy Days Lounge Pants pattern and made the cuffs a little bigger since they'd go around her knees instead of ankles, but simplified it as well--no pockets and just a simple elastic waist.
They're kind of funny, but I based them on a pair of shorts she loves that I made by shortening a pair of hand-me-down leggings that were too big but with a hole in the knee. And they are a hit!
|She didn't want to turn the top around for pictures, but you get the idea--this would be just as cute in the front.|
So there you go! My (well, our) submission for May's Project Run and Play! I'll let you know if I make the top ten this time (fingers crossed!)